Monday, August 26, 2013

Dynamic Duo

Bastos and Forsyth

Whew it was a good week. Why am I so happy all the time? It is really strange because several investigators "nos cortarem" -- "cut us". In missionary language this means they said, "Hey, I love your visits and all, but feel free to stop by next time if you need a glass of water or something." Sometimes we get the "cut" in this manner but sometimes it is much different, like, "Yeah, I don't want you in my house anymore." It is easy to get discouraged but also really easy to turn the situation upside down. We talk to several people each day, right? The way I see it I need to talk to 100 people to find that right "one". So these people are just part of the 100. No big deal.

Also, you know how when you were a kid and you asked your mom if you could eat a cookie and clearly she said no, so your next outlet is your dad, right? You hope real hard that he says yes. And sometimes he does. In the mission field this is a tactic I am starting to use. If you find a couple on the street make sure you remember both of their names when you note their address. We had a funny experience the other day. We clapped hands to call our potential investigator outside of his house to talk to us. We noticed the door was open on the second story so we called his name. (To not disclose the name I will use a false name) "Oi! Raphaelzinho" this is a name here in Osternack. He saw us through the glass door and shut the door while staring at us. At first it seemed really rude but I decided to call his wife immediately after. I was a little scared of the reaction I would receive. "Rosanna!" She came and spoke to us for a little but said that today probably wasn't the best day. Understandable, Rosanna. Obrigado. Remember that the other part of the couple could be waiting for a message that will change her life.

As promised, the face of Elder Bastos when someone says he sounds like an Americano

The mystery fruit that Elder Bastos made me eat

Little kids. I love them. I have started to make some friendships here with the Primary kids. You learn some great Portuguese. And sometimes strange facts about their parents. But speaking of little kids...I never notice fully how pure they are. They love you unconditionally and will tell you what's on their mind. You will always learn something new about the gospel because they see it in a different way. We attended a baptism for 8-year-old Guillerme. The past week we had lunch at their house and I taught him a little bit of guitar. Heaven. The baptism was great, but what I took home after the service was the idea of a new life. I wish I could remember my baptism but witnessing another 8-year-old's baptism was good enough. His face when he exited the water was so happy and clean! (sidenote: I cried a little). There weren't words to describe the rushing power of purity and innocence that slammed everyone right in the heart when we saw his face. Afterwards he gave me his classic high-five-fist-pound and a hug! That made me feel good:) 

We have one more week of this transfer. Will Elder Bastos  Stay or Leave? Will I leave and leave him here in Osternackistão?  Or will he leave and I stay? Who knows. It isn't a really big deal but here are some pictures that sum up the dynamic duo. 



No comments:

Post a Comment