I could've sworn that President Thomas S. Monson was going to give us a mind-boggling shocker because everyone was preparing us by exhorting, "FOLLOW THE PROPHET and SEEK FOR REVELATION and CONFIRMATIONS TO YOUR DAILY PRAYERS." When the prophet gave his main talk I was expecting something huge, show stopping and even hard to accept, but on the contrary. he spoke of the Lord´s example that we must follow. His gentleness was shown in the way he addressed the Lord´s people yesterday. That truly struck me - his gentleness and humility were apparent to my spirit because I felt the need to change. While he spoke I sensed I needed to improve many attributes to be closer to the Savior. Yesterday, so many general authorities praised President Monson for his service, kindness and obedience and I saw it in the way he spoke to us. I have been praying to the Lord to orient me as I direct my zone to higher peaks and goals. Now I know that I need to be like the prophet. Always following up with the lesser skilled/experienced missionaries and comforting them in hard and struggling times as the prophet comforts us. I must:
"Reach out in helpfulness....and try to do the right thing in all times and in all circumstances." --Thomas S. Monson
|Jefferson and Jose Jefferson|
Birthday surprise. We are reactivating Jefferson and on my birthday we went over to his house to follow up with some of the goals we set with him. Little did I know that he made me a cake and bought some soda to celebrate with his whole family and me. I went on splits with José Jefferson (other member) who was planning it with Jefferson. I will never forget Jefferson and his desire to talk to our bishop to clean up past mistakes. He is a man of simple understanding but his spirit is listening with ease as he puts away the carnal man. It was a fun and happy festa.
Today we made some burritos with whole wheat tortillas, guacamole, onions, and diced up chicken breast. Elder Nixon and I were tearing it up in the the chapel´s kitchen. I have never made better food. I have to be honest - I only cut the ingredients. The ingredients were all chosen by Elder Nixon, so he was the true genius behind our cooking today.
|Three of my past companions plus my current companion (Elder Martins, Elder Costa, Elder Andrade, Elder Schirmer)|
Thoughts of a 21-year-old in Brasil
- Accept trials. setbacks and surprises as normal things because millions of other people have the same difficulties. Why would I be the exception? I need to acknowledge my weaknesses but I cannot let them compromise me.
- It's hip to be square.
- What I eat is what I am.
- Be kind to everyone, friend or foe.
- Give everyone I love a little bit of my time. Ask people how they are doing. It can change someone's life.
- Being a good and healthy "different" in a rugged world takes courage.
- Who am I to judge others, when I have trouble overcoming my own problems?
- God won´t live our lives for us. We must live our lives for God.
- Just because you don't like the truth does not change the truth. Because if you step off a cliff the law of gravity will get you....even if you don't believe in it.
- We are all equals and because of this we must support others in our troubles.
- Time to go to work.
Elder Forsyth (more pictures below)
|Old man Forsyth with his hot chocolate and magazine on his birthday|
|And as my favorite alter ego|